To create a secure method to share high risk sensitive data between departments at Harvard Law School
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about HLS Secure File Sharing
When you are connected to the HLS network, a shared network drive labeled M:\ will connect automatically.
Note: This folder structure was designed to allow for the sharing of sensitive data between departments. It is not a replacement for your department’s R:\ drive.
To share files with other groups, please use the following steps:
- Open My Computer and double-click on the M:\ drive
- Locate and open your department’s shared folder by navigating the folder structure:
- Create a New Folder within your department’s shared folder.
- Right-click and select New Folder from the menu.
- When the new folder has been created, type a name that is descriptive and meaningful.
Note: For security purposes you can not create or place files in your department’s folder. You MUST create a new folder and grant access.
- Add Permissions on the folder to allow others to access the files that will be stored in this folder.
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties. The Properties dialog will be displayed.
- Click on the Security tab.
Note: When a new folder is created, the folder’s creator is the only person with access.
Note: To ensure that you can control your folder give yourself "Full Control".
- When you click Add, the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog message will be displayed.
- Type the name(s) of the person(s) you wish to share files within the dialog box.
Note: to add multiple people at one time, use a semi-colon (;) to separate their names just as you would in Outlook
- Click OK to add the users to the security of the folder.
- The default permissions for others accessing files in your folder is Read only.
- This will allow others to open and view the contents of the files in your folder but not make or save changes.
- If you want the people to be able to change, edit, or add files in the folder, highlight the user, and select Modify.
- Communicate the folders, path to the people who need access.
- Send an email to the appropriate users with the full path of the folder, e.g. M:\Administration\ITS\<New Folder Name>
Note: <New Folder Name> is the name of the folder that was created in Step 3
- You can now copy or save files to this folder just as you would your R:\ Drive
Note: It is the responsibility of the data owner to remove folders and files that no longer need to be shared.
Back to Top
Please Note: You will NOT be able to edit/add any permission to the folders using the MAC OS. If you wish to do so, please logon to any Windows OS computer.
- On the Apple menu, click Go > Connect to server
- In the Server Address field, enter the following information:
- Click the + button to add this server address to the list of your favorite servers.
- Click Connect
- Enter the following, then click OK:
- Workgroup or Domain: HLS
- Username: (this is your Harvard Law School domain username)
- Password: (this is your Harvard Law School domain password)
- The window for the Secure File Sharing Drive will open
Note: A mounted network drive will appear on the desktop
Back to Top
If you have questions regarding these shares and permissions please contact the help desk at 617-495-0722.