tap nav image

For Tenants and Legal Practitioners

The Tenant Advocacy Project (TAP) is a student practice organization at  Harvard Law School.  Under the supervision of two attorneys, student advocates provide free legal advice and representation for tenants at hearings before local housing authorities. Our clients are:

  • Current public housing tenants
  • Public housing applicants
  • Section 8 or MRVP voucher recipients
  • Section 8 or MRVP voucher applicants
  • Tenants who need advice on landlord-tenant problems (for tenants in the Greater Boston area who are Section 8 or public housing applicants or tenants)

If you need legal assistance 

 We are happy to discuss your situation via telephone. Unfortunately, we cannot take walk-ins.  

If you are not able to speak with someone when you call, please leave a message and someone will return your call as soon as possible.  The telephone number is 617-495-4394.

TAP’s Service Area  

TAP represents tenants whose public housing, Section 8 or MRVP is administered at the following public housing agenices:

Arlington, Belmont, Boston (BHA), Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Dedham, Everett,  Malden, Medford, Melrose, Milton, Newton, Quincy, Revere, Waltham, Watertown, Wellesley, Winchester, Winthrop, Woburn; and the Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership (MBHP).

Types of Cases that TAP Handles

TAP provides representation at administrative hearings at public housing authorities/agencies regarding:

  • Public housing eviction
  • Application denials for public housing, Section 8 and MRVP
  • Reasonable accommodation requests
  • Residual tenancy
  • Transfer denials
  • Subsidy terminations   By subsidy we mean only the subsidies (Section 8 and Mass Rental Voucher Program) that are administered by housing agencies and in which tenants have the right to a hearing at a public housing agency.

ITAP also provides telephone advice on general landlord-tenant problems only for tenants who have Section 8 vouchers, MRVP assistance or who live in public housing, if the housing voucher or assistance is administered by a housing agency listed in TAP's service area.

Cases Not Handled: TAP does not provide any representation in court.  TAP does not accept cases where the housing subsidy is not administered by a public housing agency (e.g. HUD-subsidized or MassHousing-subsidized housing).  TAP does not handle Home Base cases; TAP does not provide landlord-tenant advice to tenants who do not have Section 8 or MRVP vouchers, or who do not live in public housing.  

Last modified: September 30, 2014

© 2015 The President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved.