General Cross-Registration Credit Information
- The number of HLS credits you will receive for a cross-registered course will be determined by the HLS Registrar's Office. For guidance on credit conversion click here.
- The maximum number of cross-registration credits per semester for all HLS students is six.
- HLS credits for cross-registration are generally based on lecture hours. For example, a course meeting three lecture hours per week for a full semester will receive three HLS credits (see chart below).
- Studio courses are limited to two credits.
J.D. Credit Information
- See JD Degree Requirements for HLS credit requirements.
- JD students may count a maximum of 12 credits of cross-registration toward their degree.
- For 2Ls and 3Ls, you are eligible to cross-register if you are enrolled in at least 8 HLS credits (classroom, writing, clinical) in a fall or spring term in which you cross-register and your cross-registered course is worth at least 2 credits to meet the HLS semester minimum of 10 credits.
LL.M. Credit Information
- LLM students may count a maximum of 6 credits of cross-registration toward their degree.
- LLM students do not receive degree credit for language courses.
|Credit examples by course type|
|Language Courses||2L/3L = 2 credits per semester (meeting minimum of 2 lecture hours per week); 3 credits per semester (meeting minimum of 3 lecture hours per week); or 4 credits per semester (intensive courses only that are a full year of work in one semester)|
LLM = no degree credit for languages
|Other Courses||Based on lecture hours (e.g., course meets 3 hours/week for a full semester = 3 HLS credits), with the exception of HBS and FAS. Students should contact the Registrar's Office about credit conversion for courses at HBS and FAS.|
For more information about cross-registration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.