Skip to Main Content
These are quick instructions for how to start an exam using Exam4. For a more detailed tutorial, click here.
1. Launch Exam4 from your desktop.
2. Select "Prepare to start a new exam."
3. Enter your Anonymous ID in the proper boxes, and select the correct course from the course list. We recommend that you enter your HUID in the Protected Info box, though this is not required.
4. Choose your exam options, should you want them (large font size, white on black background). Note that the faculty will receive all printed exams in Times New Roman 12-point font, no matter what type options you select here. NOTE: The optional countdown timer has been disabled and is no longer an option for HLS students.
5. You do not need to enter a violation number, but you do need to check the "Got it" box.
6. Enter in the correct exam mode. The proctors will read the correct exam mode, and it will be noted on the cover page of your exam. Click the confirmation box.
7. Verify that your exam information is correct. Wait until the proctor tells you to begin. Please check over this information to make sure it is correct.
8. Click "Begin Exam."
For all in-class exams, you must type your answer in the Exam4 window. You will not be able to type in Microsoft Word and paste your answer into Exam4.
The Document Statistics Box will show your word, character and line count. If you insert Answer Separators, please make sure not to edit them in any way. If you edit them, they will not count your words correctly.
1. Go to the File menu and select "End Exam."
2. Once you click the confirmation box, you will not be able to get back into your exam.
3. Select "Submit Electronically."
4. Once you see a screen that says "Electronic Submittal OK" you are all set and may exit out of the software, following the instructions in the confirmation boxes.
If you have any questions, please email the Registrar's Office.
Back to Top