Skip to Main Content
These instructions cover how to get your take-home exam question and then start the exam. For a more detailed tutorial, click here.
One-day take-home exams must be taken on their scheduled day. The exam question will be available from 7:30am - 8:30am, and your answer must be submitted 8 hours later.
Any-day take-home exams may be taken in any 8 hour period during the exam period, but all answers must be electronically submitted by 4:30pm on the last day of exams.
All exams will print in Times New Roman, double-spaced font, even though that is not what you see when you type.
1. Go to www.exam4.com. The exam question DOES NOT appear when you open up the software.
2. Select Law Schools from the left menu.
3. Select Harvard Law School from the list.
4. Select the correct course from the list.
5. Read the instructions, click the confirmation box and click "View exam question." You will need your Anonymous ID in order to view the question.
6. You will now be able to download a .pdf version of the exam question. This .pdf file will not be e-mailed to you. Once you download the question, you can save it and / or print it from any computer.
7. You are now ready to start typing your exam answer. See immediately below for Exam4 set-up instructions.
1. Launch Exam4 from your desktop.
2. Select "Prepare to start a new exam."
3. Enter your Anonymous ID in the proper boxes, and select the correct course from the course list. We recommend that you enter your HUID into the Protected Info box, though this is not mandatory.
4. Choose your exam options, should you want them (countdown timer, large font size, warning time alarms). NOTE: The countdown timer will NOT automatically shut off your exam. If the timer runs down, just click "Ok" and you can keep on working!
5. You do not need to enter a violation number, but you do need to check the "Got it" box.
6. Enter in the correct exam mode. All take-home exams are in TAKEHOME mode. TAKEHOME mode is the only mode which allows cutting and pasting from a Word document.
7. Verify that your exam information is correct.
8. Click "Begin Exam." REMEMBER that you need to go online to www.exam4.com to view your exam question. It will not appear when you open up the software!
The Document Statistics Box will show your word, character and line count.
1. This works only in TAKEHOME mode.
2. Go to the File menu and end your exam. Confirm that you are ending it.
3. Do NOT submit it electronically. Save it to the specified file location and exit Exam4.
4. When you want to get back into your exam, choose "Select existing exam" after launching Exam4 from your desktop.
5. Select the correct exam and click "Begin Exam" and you will be able to continue working on your exam.
1. Go to the File menu and select "End Exam."
2. Once you click the confirmation box, you will not be able to get back into your exam.
3. Select "Submit Electronically."
4. Once you see a screen that says "Electronic Submittal OK" you are all set and may exit out of the software, following the instructions in the confirmation boxes.
5. Once you submit your exam, you may not then edit it and submit another copy. Electronic submittal is like handing in your exam to the proctor. Please make sure you are finished with your exam before you electronically submit it. Multiple submissions of the exact same exam (for example, if you are not sure it went through the first time) are permissible.
If you have any questions, please e-mail the Registrar's Office.
Back to Top