This page lists the various types of documents you will be asked to submit as part of the financial aid application process, and provides important details on how to submit these materials. Please read and follow the directions on this page so that we get all your information as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
Information About Completing Electronic Web Forms (FAFSA and HLS Internal Secure Web Forms)
- Links to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and all HLS required web forms can be found on the Financial Aid Forms page accessed via the link on the right hand navigation bar of this page.
- Information for FAFSA will be submitted directly to the Department of Education The data will then be sent to HLS provided that Harvard Law School is listed as a data recipient.
- For all of our HLS web forms, your data will be encrypted and transmitted securely via https directly to our database upon submission. Some of our forms will require you to login using your HLS username and password (as described on the forms page). Your data will be matched to your records based on the login information provided when authenticating to each form.
Information About Submitting Your "Paper" Documents (Federal Tax Forms & All Other Documents that you may be required to send us)
- All "paper" documents will be imaged and loaded to our document imaging system upon receipt. HLS Student Financial Services is a paperless office and we do not maintain your records in hard copy format.
- HLS offers three secure methods in which you can submit your taxes and other data to us. The three methods in order of preference are secure file upload, fax and self service scanner.
- Please read the following details carefully so that your data will arrive and be processed efficiently and correctly.
Submitting your data via Secure File Upload
- The fastest and preferred way for you to send us your data is by using our Secure File Upload Form.
- This service allows you to electronically and securely upload your data directly to our systems.
- This service has been set up specifically to replace submitting data to our office via email because email transmission of sensitive data is not secure and we do not want your data and social security number to be compromised. We strongly suggest for your protection that you do not email us your sensitive data; but rather use this service.
- On the secure file upload form you will need to complete some basic identifying information BEFORE uploading your documents. It is critically important that you enter this identifying information correctly as this is the data we will use to route your documents to the correct student's electronic record. Incorrect information will lead to processing delays.
- You can upload as many files as you need to submit on one instance of the form and submit everything together as one complete bundle. No separate cover sheets are requires as described below under the directions of sending us documents via fax.
- The Secure File Upload form only accepts documents in PDF format. Please be sure to convert all documents to PDF before you use our secure upload form.
- If you are unable to use our Secure File Upload please fax your documents to our office.
Submitting your data via FAX using our Document Fax Cover Sheet
- We have two secure fax lines - one for admits and one for continuing students.
- FAX –978-367-9460 (Priority Line for Newly Admitted Students - Class of 2016 ONLY)
- FAX - 617-496-5453 (Returning/Continuing Students)
- When submitting any required tax data or other information via fax, we require you to include a Document Fax Cover Sheet.
- The Document Fax Cover Sheet should be completed electronically. Once completed you can print it out and attach it to the first page of the packet of documents you are preparing to fax. It is critically important that you complete the information on the fax cover sheet correctly as this is the data we will use to route your documents to the correct student's electronic record. Incorrect information will lead to processing delays.
- Please follow the instructions on the fax cover sheet carefully. Here is a review of the key things to consider (also found directly on the fax cover sheet).
- You should use ONE fax cover sheet for EACH main document type. In other words if you are submitting a 1040 and 1120S you should use two different fax cover sheets so you can individually identify the document you are sending via fax.
- If you are submitting business tax forms for MULTIPLE business, each business should get its own fax cover sheet so you can clearly list the business Federal Tax ID for each business on separate fax cover sheets.
- You can lump all parts of one main item under one fax cover sheet. For example, with the 1040 fax cover sheet you can include the main form, all schedules, W2s and statements. The only time you need a new fax cover sheet for a component of a document is if you are turning it in separately from the main form. The same is true for any business return submissions.
- If the item you are submitting is not a tax return, you can choose one of the other non-tax choices as your document type on the fax cover sheet.
Submitting your data in person using our Self-Service Scanner
- If you are local and would like to drop your documents off in person, we have a self-service scanner located in our suite reception area for your convenience.
- You can drop by the office and scan your data directly into our systems during our normal business hours which are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 9-5 and Tuesday 11-5.
- We are located on the 5th floor, Wasserstein Hall, Suite 5027
Paper Submission via US Mail
- Finally, although we still accept document submissions via regular US mail, this is strongly discouraged as data received via fax, secure file upload, and our self service scanner will be processed more quickly and efficiently. Submitting documents via fax, secure file upload, or our self service scanner eliminates the need for us to manually scan your documents into our document imaging system. It also ensures that your data gets matched accurately to the correct student's electronic records in our document management system. This reduces the time it takes for us to prepare your application and allows us to devote more resources to processing your award and providing you with more individualized attention throughout the entire process. Your cooperation with this important information is greatly appreciated!