Carrel Information and Application
Law Library Carrel Shelf Application
To apply for a carrel shelf, you must complete a Law Library Carrel Shelf Application Form and return it to the Langdell Circulation Desk.
Carrel shelves are only assigned to the following:
- S.J.D. candidates
- L.L.M. students researching a thesis or L.L.M. written work requirement
- J.D. candidates satisfying third-year written work requirements
- Officially registered HLS Visiting Researchers and Visiting Scholars
- Harvard University Fellows and Ph.D. candidates with Law Faculty sponsors
Assignment Procedures and Requirements for Carrel Shelves:
- Carrel shelves are for people using a large amount of Law Library materials which makes it unreasonable to bring the books elsewhere.
- Applications require a signature from your research advisor (typically an HLS faculty member).
- Patrons assigned a carrel shelf are reserving only the upper shelf space of the assigned carrel. The other areas around the carrel are not reserved space. Carrel seating is not reserved. Seating is available for any library patron.
- Please take the time to read the Carrel Shelf Policies and Procedures before signing your name at the bottom of the application.
- Please contact Access Privileges staff if you have any questions about carrel assignments, at email@example.com, or by phone at (617) 496-5510.
Last modified: August 28, 2014