Oliver Oldman, 1920-2008
A Scholar in International Tax, and a Prescient Realist
Lloyd E. Ohlin, 1918-2008
A Compassionate Scholar of Crime and Punishment
Harry L. Kozol ’27-’29 of Boston died Aug. 27, 2008. A nationally known neurologist who helped establish the fields of forensic psychiatry and neuropsychiatry, he died at the age of 102. He built his reputation as one of the country’s premier experts in brain disorders, and in 1965 the commonwealth of Massachusetts asked him to establish a first-of-its-kind treatment center for sex offenders. He wrote widely on medical testimony and legal issues involving mentally ill patients charged with crimes. In 1967 he evaluated Albert DeSalvo, who confessed to the Boston Strangler murders, and later he was hired by the Justice Department to examine the heiress Patty Hearst, who was kidnapped in 1974 and claimed to have been the victim of coercion when she participated in a bank robbery during her kidnapping. Dr. Kozol disagreed, saying Ms. Hearst acted on her own free will; the jury later agreed and convicted her of bank robbery. He spent decades diagnosing and treating brain injuries and brain tumors at Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston City Hospital. He also served as Eugene O’Neill’s doctor in the last years of the playwright’s life.
Hart D. Leavitt ’32-’33 of Andover, Mass., died Oct. 10, 2008. He was a member of the Phillips Academy English department in Andover from 1937 to 1975. He also taught at Harvard and Tufts, and was the author of three books, including “Stop, Look and Write.” He played the tenor saxophone and the clarinet.
Gerald Blumberg ’34 of Yorktown Heights, N.Y., died Jan. 23, 2009. After law school, he briefly worked with the Depression-era New York State Mortgage Commission before launching an independent law office. In 1977, his son joined him in practice at Gerald & Lawrence Blumberg, which recently celebrated its 30th anniversary. He devoted more than 35 years of service to Israel’s Weizmann Institute of Science.
Winston B. McCall ’35 of Birmingham, Ala., died Dec. 12, 2008. He practiced law with McCanliss and Early in New York City before moving to Birmingham to partner with Pritchard, McCall and Jones. He was lead counsel for Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, who sued The Saturday Evening Post for libel. McCall wrote “One Lawyer’s Case Load,” a history of his important state and federal cases, some of which he appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court. A founding member of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, he was also a founding member of the St. Andrew’s Society of the Middle South, serving as president, and was honored with the St. Andrew’s Heritage Award. He was governor general of the Alabama Society of Colonial Wars and a member of the Magna Charta Barons. During law school, he was a winner of the Ames Competition. He served in the U.S. Army for five years during WWII and retired from the Army Reserve with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Alvin D. Wigdor ’35 of Ormond Beach, Fla., died Nov. 27, 2007. He was a partner at Michaels Michaels & Wigdor in New York City.
Phillip A. Kennedy ’36 of Eugene, Ore., died June 23, 2008.
Joseph Irion Worsham ’36 of Dallas died Oct. 14, 2008. A Dallas attorney, he practiced with the firm Worsham, Burford, Ryburn and Hincks (now Hunton & Williams) and in 1952 was appointed by the Texas Supreme Court as a member of the Board of Law Examiners, where he served until 1968. He was a founding member, vestryman and senior warden of Trinity Episcopal Church, and he served as a deputy to the Episcopal General Convention. He also served as the chancellor of the Diocese of Dallas for many years and was honored with the Layman of the Year award in 1956. His civic contributions included the founding of St. Mark’s School of Texas, where he was one of the original trustees, and service on the Town Council of Highland Park, with the Highland Park Community League and at St. Philips Community Center. He served in WWII as a naval intelligence officer based in Galveston, Texas.
Abram T. Collier ’37 of Peterborough, N.H., and Wellesley, Mass., died Nov. 20, 2008. CEO of New England Mutual Life Insurance Co. from 1966 to 1978, he began his career at John Hancock in 1937, eventually becoming vice chairman of its board. He also served on the boards of New England Telephone, Houghton Mifflin and New England Merchants National Bank and was the president of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Vault, which assisted Boston mayors. A 1951 graduate of Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Program, Collier wrote articles for the Harvard Business Review, including “Debate at Wickersham Mills,” which won the McKinsey Award. He also wrote several books, among them “Management, Men, and Values,” published in 1962. A trustee and chairman of the board of overseers of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, he was also a trustee of Wheaton College and the WGBH Educational Foundation. He received honorary degrees from Babson College, Northeastern University, Boston College and Wheaton College.
John A. Matthews Jr. ’37 of Brielle and Chatham, N.J., died Sept. 28, 2008. A Newark attorney who specialized in family law, he entered into a partnership with his father in 1938 and practiced at the firm they founded for more than 40 years. He represented Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark; served as deputy surrogate, acting surrogate, assistant county counsel and counsel to the Welfare Board in Essex County; and also served several terms as president of the Holy Cross Club of New Jersey.
Marvin W. Lewis ’38 of Miami died Nov. 12, 2008. He was an attorney for 60 years, beginning his practice in New York. He later moved to Ohio and in 1954 settled in Miami. The last 40 years of his legal career, Lewis practiced with his son at the firm Shorenstein and Lewis, and in 2003 he was honored by the Florida Bar as a 50-year member. After law school, from 1939 to 1945, he served as a special agent with the FBI.
Phil E. Gilbert Jr. ’39 of New York City died Oct. 16, 2008. As an attorney and senior partner at Gilbert, Segall and Young, he represented clients such as General Electric and Firestone Tire and Rubber, and he served as lead outside counsel to Rolls-Royce for the better part of four decades. He successfully represented the chairman of International Telephone & Telegraph, Harold S. Geneen, in 1972, during Geneen’s testimony before two U.S. Senate committees, among other investigative bodies, regarding his role in the ITT/Watergate matter. Gilbert ran for the U.S. House of Representatives in 1958 and 1960, losing both times to Republican incumbent Edwin Dooley. During his time at Harvard Law School, he won the Ames Competition in 1939. After law school he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve, and he was activated in 1941. Gilbert earned the rank of major in Gen. Patton’s Third Army in its XII Corps Headquarters, where he coordinated tactical aerial reconnaissance and photography. He was honored with the Bronze Star and the French Croix de Guerre with Silver Star for saving hundreds of French lives.
Philip Goodheim ’39 of Boulder, Colo., and formerly of Gloversville, N.Y., and Hollywood, Fla., died Oct. 7, 2008. He practiced law in both New York and Florida from 1967 until his retirement in 2004, specializing in military and commercial law, government contracting, estate and trust law, and international commerce. He represented clients before the U.S. Treasury Department, the U.S. Court of Military Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court. He was president of the Gloversville Rotary and a member of the Gloversville Board of Education, among other organizations. In 1941, Goodheim enlisted in the U.S. Army and served as a purchasing and contracting officer at Drew Field in Tampa, Fla., and after the war he served in the U.S. Air Force Reserve as a lieutenant colonel until 1975.
Frank W. Hustace Jr. ’39 of Honolulu died March 26, 2008. A longtime resident of Hawaii, he was in private practice there for 50 years. Known to waive legal fees for businessmen and acquaintances in modest financial circumstances, he was also said to have done estate planning in exchange for taro roots. He served in the cabinet of territorial governors Samuel Wilder King and William Quinn as manager of public lands. He resigned shortly after statehood in 1959, when Quinn was elected the first governor. He served as director of Victoria Ward Ltd., a family holding corporation, from 1949 until the company was sold in 2002. During WWII, he served as provost judge for the Big Island and with the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Office. He was a member of the Hawaiian Kennel Club, and his Labrador retriever, Koa, was the first obedience champion in the state. Hustace took cooking classes at the Cordon Bleu Institute in Paris and the King Arthur Flour bakery in Vermont to perfect homemade French bread.
Irwin S. Rubin ’39 of Souderton, Pa., died Aug. 25, 2008. He began his practice in Boston but after one year left to work for the federal government, serving as a tax attorney in Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and the Philippines. In 1952, he returned to his hometown of Souderton, where he practiced with the firm he helped found, now known as Rubin, Glickman, Steinberg & Gifford, until his retirement in 1995. He was a longtime member and president of the Souderton-Telford Rotary Club and founded the club’s World-Wide Book Foundation, which has donated more than 100,000 books to 19 countries and 15 American libraries. He also co-founded the Indian Valley Public Library, where he served as president and solicitor. He was the founder of the Souderton Area Scholarship Fund, president of the North Penn Lodge of B’nai B’rith and a board member of the Grand View Hospital Foundation. During his later years, he enjoyed acting in and directing community theater.
Dwight L. Schwab ’39 of Vancouver, Wash., died Oct. 7, 2008. As trial lawyer, he practiced with the Portland, Ore., office of Hutchinson, Schwab & Burdick for 50 years. He served in WWII with the U.S. Marine Corps in many battles, including Guadalcanal and Okinawa, and was awarded the Bronze Star.
Fairman C. Cowan ’40 of Worcester, Mass., died Oct. 14, 2008. A longtime resident of Worcester, he worked at the Norton Co. as general counsel and later as vice president, secretary and clerk of the corporation, retiring in 1979. He served as director of Mechanics Bank and, following his retirement, became of counsel to the firm of Bowditch and Dewey until 1990. He helped develop the Plan E/city manager form of government, was appointed vice chairman of the initial Civic Center Commission by the Worcester city manager, and received several honors, including the Isaiah Thomas Award in 1995 and the “Good Guys” award from the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus in 2005. The same year, a fund was established in his name at the Worcester Regional Research Bureau, which he co-founded. Gov. Michael Dukakis ’60 appointed him to the State Job Training Coordinating Council, and he also served as a vice chairman on the board of trustees at Clark University. As a naval intelligence officer during WWII, he helped plan the Normandy invasion and served on the command ship USS Augusta on D-Day. He participated in the Allied occupation force in Bremen and Bremerhaven, Germany, and was involved in the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
Solomon Friss ’40 of Margate, N.J., died Jan. 22, 2009. A partner for 30 years in the Atlantic City law firm McGhan & Friss, he previously served as legal counsel for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America in Vineland, N.J., in the 1950s. He was a member of the Jewish War Veterans. Friss served in the U.S. Army during WWII as a cryptologist in the European theater, and he was awarded the Bronze Star for his participation in the Battle of the Bulge.
Robert C. Hayman ’40 of Boca Raton, Fla., died Nov. 15, 2007.
James W. Barco ’41 of New York City, and formerly of Charlottesville, Va., died Nov. 20, 2008. He had an active career representing the United States in the U.N. just before and then during the Eisenhower administration. He began his diplomatic career in 1946, joining the U.S. State Department and serving on the U.S. delegation to the U.N. Good Offices Commission for Indonesia. From 1948 to 1949, he was the acting deputy U.S. representative to the U.N. Conciliation Commission for Palestine. From 1956 to 1961, he was deputy representative of the U.S. on the U.N. Security Council. In 1961, he became special assistant to the president of Time Inc. He was a founding partner in 1962 of the law firm Barco, Cook & Patton (now Patton Boggs). Later he served as vice chairman of the board of trustees of the American University in Cairo and with the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1946.
Dexter Delony LL.M. ’41 of Gainesville, Fla., died Oct. 16, 2008. He was a professor for more than 30 years at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. Before his retirement in 1983, he taught, among others, former Gov. Lawton Chiles and former Gov. Reubin Askew.
Guido J. Gores ’41 of Cincinnati died June 13, 2008. He was the chief investment officer and vice president of Fifth Third Bank. After law school, he was assigned to the cruiser USS Savannah, which was damaged in the Battle of Salerno and returned for repairs to Philadelphia, where he became the ship’s commanding officer. After the war, he returned to Cincinnati to join Lincoln National Bank (now Fifth Third), where he worked until retirement. He was active in many local organizations, including the Cincinnati Tennis Club, University Club, Cincinnati Chamber Music Society and Seven Hills School.
Emanuel Haber ’41 of Fresh Meadows, N.Y., died Sept. 26, 2008. A trial lawyer and partner in the firm of Weisman, Celler, Allen, Spett and Sheinberg, he served as a longtime judge of New York Civil and Housing Courts and was a six-term president of the Association of Housing Court Judges. He was a decorated WWII veteran who served in the U.S. Army Air Corps.
Thomas C. Perkins ’41 of Sacramento, Calif., died July 16, 2008. He was a Sacramento attorney and the last direct descendant of pioneers who settled in the area. The grandson of a Southern Pacific railroad employee, Perkins argued cases for working- class people. In one case decided by the U.S. Supreme Court, he successfully challenged a Southern Pacific policy that forced workers with grievances to accept arbitration instead of suing the company. After retirement, he managed his family’s property in the area. He enjoyed horse racing, and owned and drove his own horses in harness races for many years, winning often at Cal Expo, Bay Meadows and Hollywood Park. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
John A. Priest ’41 of Shoreline, Wash., died Dec. 31, 2008. He worked as corporate counsel at Simpson Timber Co. in Seattle, and he also served as an equal opportunity compliance officer for Boeing. After law school, he worked for the Justice Department and later served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Oliver C. Schroeder Jr. ’41 of Cleveland died Sept. 25, 2008. A professor of law at Case Western Reserve University, he taught there for 43 years, including five years as acting dean. In 1953 he co-founded and was director of the Law-Medicine Center at Case Western Reserve University School of Law and specialized in criminal law, constitutional law and law-medicine. He served 13 years on the Cleveland Heights City Council, including one term as mayor. He belonged to the Western Reserve Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, which gave him its highest award, the Archibald Willard Silver Trophy. He was also inducted into the Cleveland Medical Hall of Fame in 1999, as a health law educator. During WWII, he served as a radio intelligence translator and interpreter of Japanese, one of only 500 persons specifically recruited to do so. He was a captain and commanding officer in the Naval Reserve.
Marshall M. Holleb ’42 of Chicago died Dec. 7, 2008. He was a longtime Chicago attorney who is credited with saving the Chicago Theatre from demolition in the 1980s when he organized a group of investors to buy and restore the structure. He served as senior counsel of Wildman Harrold and before that was a founding partner of Holleb & Coff and its predecessor firm, Holleb & Yates. A founding trustee and general counsel of the Museum of Contemporary Art, he was also a trustee of Hull House Association and the Arts Club of Chicago. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII in the Philippines and under Gen. Douglas MacArthur during the occupation of Japan, helping to prepare the prosecution of Gen. Tomoyuki Yamashita for war crimes.
Alan N. Schneider ’42 of Miami died Nov. 4, 2008. He was the founder and president of Kings Way Mortgage Co., acquired by Pan American Bank in the early 1970s, where he served as executive vice president until retirement. Earlier, he was a city attorney and president of the American Library Association in his hometown of Louisville, Ky. During WWII, he was a lieutenant commander and served as attaché to the head of U.S. naval intelligence in London.
James D. Malcolmson ’43 of San Francisco died Sept. 5, 2008. He was an attorney and real estate investor who began his career with Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro as an associate and later had a solo practice in real estate. During WWII, he served as a naval intelligence officer in England, as a decoder, and later at Dartmouth Naval College. After the invasion, he became the communications officer aboard the USS Colbert in the Pacific, which was mined in the last days of the war.
John H. Monahan ’43 of Newton, Mass., died June 28, 2008. He was an attorney for the U.S. Department of Defense focusing on contractor fraud and conflicts of interest. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Robert L. Park ’43 of Potomac Falls, Va., died Dec. 26, 2008. He worked at the Civil Aeronautics Board (now the Federal Aviation Administration) for 28 years as a legal officer. He was a prosecutor, an appellate lawyer and, for 12 years, an administrative law judge, presiding over cases dealing with airline mergers and the allocation of airline routes. Park was the agency’s chief judge at the time of his retirement from the government in 1976. Subsequently, joining the Air Transport Association of America as its first travel agent commissioner, he established an office that adjudicated contractual disputes with airline travel agents and heard appeals concerning the accreditation of agents; he retired in 1987. He was a member of the International Aviation Club of Washington. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard during WWII as a communications officer on troop transport ships in the North Atlantic and the Mediterranean.
Sherman M. Tonkonow ’43 of Meriden, Conn., died Jan. 3, 2009. A longtime resident of Meriden, he was in private practice there from 1946 to 1999. He served as president of the Meriden-Wallingford Bar Association and was a member of Meriden’s first Planning Commission. He was also president of the Meriden Easter Seals Rehabilitation Center and the Temple B’nai Abraham Men’s Club. After law school, he took a position in Manhattan with Wendell Willkie, the Republican who challenged Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1940 presidential election. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in the Philippines and New Guinea.
John L. VanAusdall ’43 of Caruthersville, Mo., died June 5, 2007. A longtime resident of Caruthersville, he owned a Ford dealership and was chairman of the board for the First State Bank and Trust Co. Active in the community, he was a member of the Pemiscot County Historical Society and the Caruthersville Humane Society. He served on the Caruthersville Public Library Board and established the VanAusdall Family Education Scholarship Fund.
T. Harrison “Harry” Stanton ’44 of Jackson, Mich., died Oct. 5, 2008. After law school, he joined the law firm of Rosenburg and Painter (later Stanton, Bullen, Nelson, Moilanen and Klaasen), where he practiced until his retirement in 1992. He served on the boards of several corporations and nonprofits, including the Ella Sharp Museum and its travel committee, and was a member of the ACLU. He supported the Southern Poverty Law Center and was a member of several Jackson-area ballroom dancing and square-dancing clubs. During WWII, he interrupted his studies at HLS to serve in the U.S. Army as a clerk for a cartography division that prepared aerial maps for the invasion of Japan. After V-J Day he was part of the army of occupation.
Paul J. Woodman ’47 of Washington, D.C., died Aug. 7, 2008. He served as a member of the General Counsel’s Office of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services) from the 1960s until his retirement in 1978. He was also a hearing examiner for the Department of Education. Prior to his service in Washington, D.C., he worked for a law firm in Buffalo, N.Y. During his retirement, he studied French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
Robert J. Addison ’48 of Denver died Jan. 18, 2009. He practiced law in Gary, Ind., from 1950 to 1973, retiring in 1987. He served as assistant city attorney for Hobart and deputy prosecutor for Lake County. He was a president of the Gary Bar Association. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII with the 339th Fighter Group stationed in England.
Donald C. Alexander ’48 of Washington, D.C., died Feb. 3, 2009. He ran the Internal Revenue Service from 1973 to 1977 and successfully fought off the Nixon administration’s attempts to use tax audits and investigations to punish its political enemies. Shortly after becoming IRS commissioner, he ordered the disbanding of a unit of investigators who secretly combed through the tax returns of groups and individuals deemed suspect by the administration. He repeatedly urged Congress to stiffen taxpayer confidentiality laws, which it did in 1976. In the early 1970s, President Nixon’s name came up for audit in the agency’s randomized process. After Alexander proved that other presidents had been audited, the agency went ahead and ultimately determined that President Nixon owed more than $400,000 in back taxes and penalties. Alexander was later a partner at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, specializing in tax law. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII, and he was awarded the Silver and Bronze Stars.
John C. Carey ’48 of Austin, Texas, died Nov. 7, 2008. He practiced labor law, first for the National Labor Relations Board and then for Southern and South Central Bell Telephone in Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama. After retirement, he logged more than 16,000 kilometers walking with the American Volkssport Association. He served as an artillery officer in the South Pacific during WWII, fighting at Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa and in the Philippines.
Edmund N. “Ned” Carpenter II ’48 of Greenville, Del., and Palm Beach, Fla., died Dec. 19, 2008. He was the deputy attorney general of Delaware from 1953 to 1954 and special deputy attorney general from 1960 to 1962. He worked for the Delaware firm Richards, Layton & Finger as an associate and later as partner, director and president before his retirement in 1991. He was president of the Delaware State Bar Association from 1971 to 1972; was a founding board member of Stand Up for What’s Right and Just, an organization that advocates for reform for the state’s criminal justice system; and was appointed to head Gov. Pierre du Pont’s judicial selection committee in the 1970s. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII, where he earned a Bronze Star and the Soldier’s Medal after parachuting behind Japanese lines in China to rescue American prisoners. He also earned the Chinese Order of the Flying Cloud, four Battle Stars and the China-Burma-India Theatre Ribbon.
Robert M. Forrister ’48 of Estes Park, Colo., died Oct. 14, 2008. He served as a district judge for two terms (18 years), and before that he practiced law with Winter and Burgess. After retirement he moved to Fort Collins, Colo., and later to Estes Park. He served in the U.S. Marines in WWII.
James J. Kalled ’48 of Ossipee, N.H., died Jan 11, 2009. After law school, he opened his own law firm in Wolfeboro, N.H., and in 1980 he moved his office to Ossipee. He was a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. He was also a member of the Morning Star Lodge F&AM, the Wolfeboro Rotary, and the American Legion, and a life member of the NRA. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces with the 19th Tactical Air Command during WWII. He participated in the invasion of Normandy at Omaha Beach and in the battles of the Rhineland and the Ardennes, among others, and was awarded five major battle stars and the Distinguished Service Medal.
Peter J. King Jr. ’48 of Colorado Springs, Colo., died Jan. 7, 2009. He was an executive for three decades with Colorado Interstate Gas Co. and president from 1977 to 1986. He was a trustee of the Myron Stratton Home, was a member of the Colorado Transportation Department Commission, and served on a number of local, state, and national business, social and charitable boards. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII and the Korean War.
Julius A. Leetham ’48 of Walnut Creek, Calif., and formerly of Pasadena and San Marino, died Aug. 16, 2008. A Superior Court judge for Los Angeles County appointed by Gov. Reagan, he served for nearly 20 years, including two as supervising judge of the criminal courts. Active in the Republican Party, he served as chairman of the Republican Central Committee of Los Angeles County, and in 1966 he ran unsuccessfully for California attorney general in the Republican primary. He volunteered with the Boy Scouts of America. He served four years as an officer in the U.S. Army in the South Pacific and was an aide-de-camp to Maj. Gen. Rapp Brush.
David E. Long ’48 of Pleasantville, N.Y., died Oct. 11, 2008. He practiced corporate and real estate law at various corporations, including Lehn and Fink Products and the Teachers Insurance Annuity Association, where he worked until retirement.
John Alexander McMahon ’48 of Durham, N.C., died Oct. 30, 2008. He began his career as professor of public law and government at the University of North Carolina. In 1965, he became vice president of Hospital Savings Association, and in 1968, the first president of North Carolina Blue Cross and Blue Shield. He then moved to Chicago to serve as president of the American Hospital Association for 14 years before returning to Durham in 1986 to take a chairmanship and professorship at the Department of Health Administration in the Medical Center at Duke University. He was chairman of the board of trustees at Duke for 13 years and received its University Medal, and the American Hospital Association established a professorship in health policy and management there in his name. He received honorary degrees from Wake Forest University and Georgetown University. McMahon served in the U.S. Army during WWII in the South Pacific, and he was a member of the U.S. Air Force Reserve from 1946 to 1972, retiring with the rank of colonel.
Stanley Sevilla ’48 of Pacific Palisades, Calif., died Jan. 3, 2009. After law school, he moved to California and started a practice, Axelrad, Sevilla and Ross. His career spanned 40 years with a focus on business and real estate matters, and most recently he was a solo practitioner. He served on the board of directors at Caesar’s World and the Casper Mills Scholarship Foundation, which provides scholarships for orphans. He was a founding member of the Marquez Knolls Neighborhood Association, once serving as president, and a member of the Pacific Palisades Optimist Club. An avid hiker, backpacker and camper, he hiked to the top of Mount Whitney several times. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a captain from 1942 to 1946. Stationed in Puerto Rico, he briefed bomber crews on how to navigate their way from Puerto Rico to Europe.
George C. Shively ’48 of Bronxville, N.Y., died Oct. 23, 2008. He was the mayor of Bronxville from 1967 to 1969 and a partner with the New York City law firm Satterlee & Stephens until his retirement. He served in Eastern France with the 71st Infantry Regiment, 44th division, Corps of Engineers during WWII.
Robert E. Harney ’48-’51 of Southern Shores, N.C., died May 10, 2008. He retired from the federal government’s Department of Health, Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services) in Arlington, Va. Harney served for 14 years as president of the local AFL-CIO lodge, where he negotiated contracts to improve conditions for workers. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII in the Pacific theater.
Julius Paul ’48-’49 of Fredonia, N.Y., died Sept. 26, 2008. A political science professor at SUNY Fredonia, he was known for his research in eugenics and, in particular, state-sanctioned sterilizations in the United States from 1959 to the early 1970s. He also taught at Ohio State University, Kenyon College, Southern Illinois University and Wayne State University. In the early 1950s, he was a civil rights activist who worked to desegregate restaurants in Columbus, Ohio, and he was an advocate for the mentally ill, serving on the board of visitors of the Gowanda Psychiatric Center. Active in the Fredonia community, he was a member of the Festival Chorus, the Catch Club and the Adams Art Gallery.
Ernest LeRoy Autrey ’49 of Texarkana, Ark., died Feb. 3, 2009. He was a city attorney and a partner at Autrey & Stewart. He was also a labor arbitrator for the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service and a commissioner of Uniform State Laws for the State of Arkansas. In addition to serving as chairman of the Advisory Board of the Salvation Army and president of the Texarkana Kiwanis Club, he was a board member of United Way, co-chairman of the Federal Practice Committee for the Western District of Arkansas, a member of the Southwestern Legal Foundation and the Defense Research Institute, and a member of First United Methodist Church, where he served as a chairman of the administrative board, trustee and teacher.
Leon C. “Lee” Baker ’49 of Boca Raton, Fla., died Nov. 28, 2008. He was general counsel and executive vice president of Revlon and previously general counsel of Helene Curtis Industries in Chicago. Most recently, he practiced with Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom in New York City, specializing in mergers and acquisitions. After law school, he joined Thayer and Gilbert, where he assisted clients targeted by Sen. Joseph McCarthy. He was active with numerous charities, including the Jewish Federation, Hadassah, Boca Raton Community Hospital and the Boca Raton Museum of Art. He delivered food to the needy for Jewish Family Services, provided funds to bring Jewish emigrants from the Soviet Union and Argentina to Israel, established a tennis complex at Qiryat Shmona in Israel and helped establish the Israel National Blood Center. At HLS, a Victorian home purchased by the school in 1981 was renovated through his generosity and is now home to the Berkman Center for Internet & Society and the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau. He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps after Pearl Harbor, becoming a first lieutenant, and served in the Pacific theater. After the war, he was stationed in Hawaii, where he risked court-martial by insisting to his commanding general that black Marines not be excluded from educational courses.
J. Paul Bright Jr. ’49 of Portland, Ore., and formerly of Baltimore died Dec. 31, 2008. After law school, he joined Cross & Shriver, which became Ober, Kaler, Grimes & Shriver, specializing in probate and estate law; he retired in 1991. He was a member of the Baltimore City Bar Association and Maryland state chairman and a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. He served on the boards of the Prisoners Aid Association, McDonogh School, Bryn Mawr School and the Legal Aid Bureau. He was a communicant and vestryman at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Ruxton. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1943, serving as a cryptographer in Alaska and the Aleutian Islands.
Laurence A. Kusek ’49 of Pinehurst, N.C., and formerly of Park Ridge, Ill., died Dec. 30, 2008. He was an assistant attorney general for the state of Illinois and practiced law as a solo practitioner in the state for many years; later he became a member of the Michigan Bar and worked in Glenn, Mich., until his retirement. He served in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1945.
Wilbur S. Legg ’49 of Sarasota, Fla., and formerly of Winnetka, Ill., died Nov. 5, 2008. He was president of the Village of Winnetka, chairman of the zoning board and member of the village council. After law school, he worked for the Illinois Commerce Commission as an attorney from 1950 to 1953. He then joined Lord, Bissell and Brook, where he retired as a partner in 1987. He was a director of Old Republic International for more than 40 years, and chairman of the congregation of the Winnetka Congregational Church, where he sang in the choir. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
John L. Mirabile ’49 of Spring Valley, N.Y., died Sept. 11, 2008. After graduation from law school, he established a private practice in Spring Valley which spanned 54 years. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Billy S. Sparks ’49 of Overland Park, Kan., died Nov. 24, 2008. After law school, he joined the firm Langworthy Matz and Linde in Kansas City, Mo., which later became Linde Thomson Langworthy Kohn & Van Dyke, and he remained there until his retirement in 1990. In 1956, he was a candidate for the state House of Representatives, and in 1962, a candidate for Congress, both in Kansas. He served as a delegate to the 1964 Democratic National Convention. Active in the Kansas school system, he was president of the District 110 School Board in Johnson County and later served as president of the School Board for Shawnee Mission School District 512. In 1975, he was appointed by Gov. Robert Bennett to the Kansas Civil Service Commission, and he served as chairman until 1990. A member of Countryside Christian Church for more than 50 years, he served as elder, trustee and deacon. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps at the start of WWII and became a commissioned lieutenant after studying meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was stationed in India and Burma, where he flew supplies to Gen. Joseph Stilwell’s command in China.
Daniel J. Boyle ’50 of Framingham, Mass., died Sept. 19, 2008. He was associate general counsel at Commercial Union Insurance Co. in Boston for 29 years, retiring in 1988.
James A. Cronin Jr. ’50 of Highlands Ranch, Colo., died Jan. 18, 2009. He was an administrative law judge for 38 years, retiring in 1994. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Daniel Neal Heller ’50 of Miami Beach, Fla., died Aug. 3, 2008. Nationally acclaimed as “The Man Who Beat the IRS” for his famous case against rogue government agents, he headed his own firm, Heller & Kaplan, for many years before joining Tew Cardenas at age 80. As a defender of constitutional rights, he won the first “Government in the Sunshine” case in Florida. He was general counsel to the Miami News, national commander of the Jewish War Veterans, an observer at the Eichmann and Frankfurt war crimes trials, an official participant in the funeral of President John F. Kennedy and a 33rd degree Mason. He obtained the first public plea from Pope Paul VI to allow Russian Jews to emigrate. He provided legal services pro bono to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference. He was a president of the Florida Harvard Law School Association, co-chair of the Concert Association of Florida, a trustee of the Dade County Public Health Trust, a member of the Dade County Council of Arts & Sciences, a member of the Board of Advisors at Florida International University and a founder of Mt. Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.
Forrest S. Holmes Jr. ’50 of University Park, Md., and Roanoke, Va., died Nov. 7, 2007. He spent his career working for the Department of Defense in the Office of the General Counsel. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII as a first lieutenant and tank commander. He served a second tour of foreign service in Germany as a troop commander and also on the regimental special staff in the U.S. Constabulary.
M. Peter Moser ’50 of Baltimore died Oct. 17, 2008. He was a longtime Baltimore attorney who focused on business, estate and tax law. He practiced with Nyburg, Goldman & Walter beginning in 1955, and later as a partner at Frank, Bernstein, Conaway & Goldman before joining Piper & Marbury in 1992. He began his career as an assistant state attorney in Baltimore, heading the homicide division for two years. He wrote many law review articles, including “Some Aspects of Powers of Appointment in Maryland,” and he became well-known in legal circles for articles on legal ethics. He was president of the Baltimore City Bar Association beginning in 1971 and became president of the Maryland State Bar Association eight years later. He served as national treasurer of the ABA for four years and was an active member of its House of Delegates for 24 years. He served in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.
Roy E. Murray Jr. ’50 of Kalispell, Mont., and formerly of Bigfork, Mont., died Dec. 14, 2008. He was an assistant U.S. attorney under the Nixon administration and also succeeded his father as owner of Murray Motor Co. in Butte. A lifelong golfer, he was a member of the Butte Country Club. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific during WWII.
Edwin J. O’Mara Jr. ’50 of Old Greenwich, Conn., and Vero Beach, Fla., died Dec. 8, 2008. He was a partner with Ivey, Barnum & O’Mara, president of the Greenwich Bar Association and a member of the State of Connecticut Bar Examining Committee. Active in the community, he was chairman of the Town of Greenwich Housing Authority, served on the board of directors of the United Way of Greenwich for six years and was a trustee at Greenwich Hospital from 1983 to 1989. He was also a 40-year member of the Old Greenwich Lions Club, director and treasurer of the Willard Hoyt Memorial Foundation for 38 years, and director of the Greenwich Boys & Girls Club.
Joe M. Kyle ’51 of Baltimore died Jan. 12, 2009. He practiced law in Montgomery County, serving as assistant county attorney and for a term on the Montgomery County Council. He was a two-term president of the Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce and volunteered in programs for youth and adults in court systems in the metropolitan area.
Charles T. Matthews ’51 of Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., died on Sept. 16, 2008. He was a Huntington town attorney and Suffolk County assistant district attorney. He also served as fire commissioner of the Cold Spring Harbor Fire Department. An avid sailor, he was commodore of the Seafarers Yacht Club and a member of the Storm Tri Sail Club, participating in the Newport, R.I., to Bermuda yacht race annually from 1968 to 1988. He was also a member of the Elks Club and president of the Huntington Kiwanis Club. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII on the USS Monadnock and was a flotilla commander and rear commodore with the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
John J. Murphy ’51 of San Diego died May 2, 2007.
Larry J. Ratzel ’51 of New Berlin, Wis., died Nov. 2, 2008. He was a longtime Wisconsin resident and attorney. He served the U.S. during WWII.
Donald O. Smith ’51 of Hingham, Mass., died Oct. 28, 2008. He practiced with Warner & Stackpole, specializing in estate planning and probate before becoming a solo practitioner. He was vice president and director of the New England Law Institute, director of the League School of Boston and the author of “How to Make Charitable Bequests.” He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII.
Jerrold M. Sonet ’51 of New York City died Jan. 28, 2009. After law school he returned to New York City and joined the law practice of Daniel Levy, which would become Levy, Sonet and Siegel. He was involved with the consolidation of the American Institute of Designers and the National Society of Interior Designers, which in 1975 became the American Society of Interior Designers, where he served as general counsel for many years.
Robert H. Ware ’51 of Fairfield, Conn., died Jan. 23, 2009. After law school, he joined Fish, Richardson and Neave, specializing in patent litigation for five years before he joined Blair and Buckles in Stamford. He later went into partnership with the firm Mattern, Ware and Davis (now Ware, Fressola, Van der Sluys and Adolphson), retiring in 2004. He was a committee member of Boy Scout Troop 90 and chairman of the Rotary Club youth exchange. A sailor for 25 years, he was commander of the Housatonic Power Squadron and taught seamanship, celestial navigation and other courses. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.
Domnern Garden ’52 of Bangkok died Jan. 19, 2009. A lawyer, translator and lexicographer, he was a co-author of the Thai-English Dictionary and also translated the story collection by Khamsing Srinawk into English with the title “The Politician and Other Stories.” After law school, he was admitted to the Thai Bar and was recruited to work at Jorgensen & Co., an intellectual property law firm. In the mid-1980s the firm became Domnern Somgiat & Boonma, where he remained for many years. He also taught law at Thammasat University.
Roger D. Newell ’52 of Palo Alto, Calif., died Dec. 12, 2006.
Sheldon Newman ’52 of Durham, N.C., and formerly of Saugus, Mass., died Sept. 24, 2008. He practiced law for more than 25 years, specializing in estate planning, probate law and family law. He was an avid skier and tennis player. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII with the 101st Airborne Division.
Philip O’Brien Jr. ’52 of Holyoke, Mass., died Aug. 13, 2008. After graduation from law school, he entered into practice with his father and maintained an office in Holyoke until his death. One of his legal successes was O’Brien v. Dwight, in which he won arguments before the local Probate Court and then the Supreme Judicial Court in Boston. He worked to establish rights for beneficiaries of trusts where it appeared trust assets had been wrongfully transferred. He was active in civic service with the Holyoke Public Library Corp., serving as a member of the board from the 1970s and as president in the early 1990s. He was also president of the Colonial Ivy Association, a group of local college football fans. He served in WWII with the U.S. Army as a medical technician with the 17th and 82nd Airborne Divisions, and was engaged in active combat duty in Western and Central Europe. He was awarded decorations from the French government as well as campaign medals and a Victory Medal from the U.S.
Antti J. Suviranta LL.M. ’52 of Helsinki, Finland, died March 30, 2008. In 1951, he was appointed the district judge’s clerk and deputy for the district of Janakkala, Finland, and from 1956 to 1959 he worked as a civil servant at the Finnish Ministry of Finance. He pursued an academic path on the faculty of law at the University of Helsinki, becoming a professor of labor law in 1967, a position he held for 15 years. During this time, he published numerous books and articles, chiefly on labor law. He served as president of the Finnish Labor Court and then chief justice of the Supreme Administrative Court of Finland from 1982 until his retirement in 1993. In 1984, he was appointed a member of the Committee of Experts on the Application of Conventions and Recommendations. He served in the Finnish army during WWII and was awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Finnish White Rose in 1987 and the Grand Cross of the Royal Swedish Order of the North Star in 1988.
Ivan V. Kerno ’53 of New York City died Nov. 5, 2008. He was an international lawyer and oil executive who worked for Mobil Oil for much of his career. He began with the company in 1964 in New York City. From 1969 to 1973 he served as general counsel in Paris and managing director of Mobil North and West Africa Group, where he was responsible for marketing and refining-related activities in 17 French-speaking countries in Africa. He moved to Copenhagen for two years as managing director of Mobil Oil Denmark during the first oil crisis, followed by eight years as general counsel for Mobil Europe in London. He completed his career with Mobil in New York City, as assistant general counsel for the international division.
Melvin D. Kraft ’53 of Monterey, Mass., and Palm Beach, Fla., died Nov. 22, 2008. He began a boutique litigation firm in Manhattan in the mid-1960s. For more than two decades, he tried cases on behalf of numerous major corporations, including Mobil Oil, and was often called by major Wall Street firms to join their litigation teams. He was also a faculty chairman of the Practising Law Institute in New York City. He retired in 1988 and began working as a guest lecturer at MIT’s Sloan School of Management. He was author of “His Sole Weapon,” a novel that explores a lawyer’s deep love for the law and its capacity for imposing order on chaos (see the Bulletin story). He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Charles A. O’Brien ’53 of Danville, Calif., died Sept. 3, 2008. He was the California chief deputy attorney general from 1962 to 1971. After law school, he moved to California to practice law with the San Francisco Foreign Policy Association and served as executive secretary to Gov. Edmund Brown from 1960 to 1961. After his service as chief deputy attorney general, he worked in private practice until his retirement in 2004. In the 1970s he helped found the Doctors Co., now the nation’s largest physician-owned medical malpractice insurer. He bred award-winning Arabian horses. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army, fighting in the Battle of the Bulge and helping to liberate Nazi concentration camps. He was honored with a Purple Heart.
Kernan F. Gorman ’54 of East Hampton, N.Y., and London died Aug. 11, 2008. A tax lawyer, he first joined the Wall Street firm Kelley Drye, and then he worked much of his career with Mobil Oil, where he was in charge of European taxes. He remained with Mobil Oil, traveling through the continent from Finland to Turkey, until his retirement. He belonged to the Maidstone Club, the Union Club in New York and Brook’s Club in London. He served with the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1944 as a tail-gunner in B-17 bombers and flew 24 missions over Germany. He was shot down twice but managed to escape to allied territory.
Louis M. Kaplan ’54 of Washington, D.C., died Oct. 5, 2008. He was a lawyer who specialized in mental health law and who later had a second career as an artist. He began his career with the Civil Aeronautics Board in 1954, and two years later he became a motions law clerk at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. He helped draw attention to petitions that impoverished defendants were required to file before they could appeal a case, and in 1962 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that such petitions imposed an undue burden on the poor. He worked as an assistant U.S. attorney before helping found Carr, Bonner, O’Connell & Kaplan in the late 1960s, when he was also teaching mental health law at Georgetown University Law Center. In 1974, he joined the Psychiatric Institutes of America as executive vice president and general counsel, and he remained there until his retirement in 1982. He then focused on art, specifically oils, watercolors, acrylics and prints. He studied at the Corcoran College of Art and Design and in Florence, Italy, and Snowmass, Colo. He had many exhibitions in the Washington area and was preparing a career retrospective at the time of his death.
Hugh W. Blanchard ’55 of Glendale, Calif., died Nov. 23, 2008. He worked for the Department of Justice for more than 30 years. He was both an assistant U.S. attorney, serving as head of the claims and judgment section, and supervisor of the financial litigation unit in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles. In 1970, he received the Sustained Superior Service Award from the Department of Justice. He was chairman of the legal committee of the National Speleological Society.
Godfrey R. de Castro ’55 of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, died Jan. 24, 2007. Former attorney general of the Virgin Islands, where he was born, de Castro held that position after he retired from practice in the U.S. as chief counsel for the New York City Housing Department. Before that, he worked with Thurgood Marshall, then chief counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. De Castro began his career in the U.S. working for the New York State Supreme Court. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Norman M. Goldberg ’55 of Brookline, Mass., died Oct. 24, 2008. He was a partner at Lyne, Woodworth & Evarts, concentrating in commercial real estate and commercial leasing. He became a partner in 1975 and represented developers, banks and retail store chains. He represented both landlords and tenants in connection with commercial leases and was involved in the leasing of office and bank spaces, shopping centers, and industrial real estate.
Neil G. Howland ’55 of Saugus, Mass., died Dec. 11, 2008. He practiced law in Saugus for many years.
John F. McGillicuddy ’55 of Harrison, N.Y., died Jan. 4, 2009. He assembled one of the first big bank mergers in the wave of consolidation that emerged from the economic slump of the early 1990s. He played a pivotal role in providing financial assistance to New York City during its fiscal crisis in the 1970s, and he later helped orchestrate the private-public lending partnership to bail out Chrysler in the 1980s. He advised President Ronald Reagan and President George H.W. Bush, three governors and two mayors on financial matters. He joined Manufacturers Trust Co. in 1958 and 13 years later was elected president. As chairman and chief executive of Manufacturers Hanover, he was a chief architect of banking consolidation, and in 1991, Manufacturers Hanover Corp. merged with the Chemical Banking Corp., the largest bank merger in the U.S. at that time. After the merger, he retired as the chairman and chief executive of Chemical Banking in 1993. He served on the board at the Boy Scouts of America, Kraft, United Airlines and U.S. Steel.
Andrew G. Meyer ’55 of Sherborn, Mass., died Oct. 30, 2008. He was appointed by Gov. Michael Dukakis ’60 to the Massachusetts District Court in the 1970s, and after two years, he was elevated to the Superior Court. He overturned a 24-year restriction on public showings of “Titicut Follies,” Frederick Wiseman’s landmark documentary about the conditions at Bridgewater State Hospital for the criminally insane. Because of privacy concerns, the film was banned for public viewing shortly after it was shown; it was the first film in U.S. history to be banned for reasons other than obscenity. Meyer retired from the court in 1993 and became an arbitrator and mediator. He visited jails and prisons regularly to observe, talk and offer encouragement. Meyer began his career as an attorney specializing in civil litigation. He served during WWII as a nose gunner and tail gunner in B-24s, flying 35 missions over Germany. He was recalled to active duty in the Korean War and served in the Naval Reserve, teaching instrument flying and history in Pensacola, Fla.
Leonard G. Pastolove ’55 of Port Washington, N.Y., and Boca Raton, Fla., died March 25, 2009. He was vice president and treasurer at Asco Corp. in New York City,manufacturers and installers of fire prevention equipment.
Marshall Simonds ’55 of Morrisville, Vt., died Oct. 1, 2008. After law school, he joined the Boston firm Goodwin Procter and began a 45-year career there. He served as general counsel to the Massachusetts Crime Commission, which was created by the Massachusetts Legislature in the 1960s to investigate corruption in state and local government. He also served as special counsel to the Boston School Committee in the late 1970s, helping it respond to court orders in desegregation litigation. A lecturer on trial skills at HLS, he also moderated and presented televised case scenarios for WGBH in their program “Miller’s Court.” Simonds owned 13 field champion Labrador retrievers and was a delegate to the American Kennel Club president of the National Retriever Club, and a judge for more than 40 years in Labrador Retriever Field Trials. In 2001, he was elected to the Field Trial Hall of Fame, and he founded the AKC Health Foundation.
Leroy S. Merrifield S.J.D. ’56 of Alexandria, Va., died Sept. 19, 2008. A professor at George Washington University for more than 40 years, he taught primarily labor relations law, collective bargaining and labor arbitration, and he served as acting dean for two years. He was also chairman of the U.S. branch of the International Society for Labor Law and Social Security from 1982 until 1988, a member of the Civil Rights Reviewing Authority for the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services), and an adviser to the Civil Service Commission, the Commission on Government Security and the Administrative Conference of the United States. As an arbitrator, he was a referee with the National Railroad Adjustment Board and a member of the Foreign Service Grievance Board. He was also a Fulbright fellow in Australia and a Ford Foundation fellow in Europe. Merrifield served as a lawyer with the Office of Price Administration and the Justice Department’s antitrust division prior to his appointment at George Washington University. He was a founding member of Mount Vernon Unitarian Church, where he sang as a tenor in the choir. He served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific during WWII.
Earl J. Van Gerpen ’56 of Atlanta died March 3, 2008. He practiced law with Powell & Goldstein and later founded his own law firm, Van Gerpen & Associates.
Stephen L. Bernstein ’58 of Woodmere, N.Y., died Jan. 3, 2007. He opened a private practice but ultimately spent the majority of his career as general counsel for private corporate firms, most recently the First Republic Corporation of America, from which he retired in 2002.
Walter J. Handelman ’58 of Scarsdale, N.Y., died Feb. 2, 2009. He was the mayor of Scarsdale for two years, from 1993 to 1995. After law school, he joined his father’s practice in Manhattan, but he moved the practice to White Plains in 1984. Active in the community, he was elected president of the neighborhood association and later became the president of the Town Club. He became a member of the first Board of Architectural Review after helping to write the architectural review ordinance that is used in Scarsdale today. Additionally, he served on the Library Board, the Board of Ethics, the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Village Board of Trustees. Handelman, who was highly interested in historic preservation, served as a trustee, director and committee chairman in the Preservation League of New York State, the Partners for Sacred Places, and the Jay Heritage Center, and as a trustee for a decade of the Scarsdale Foundation. For his commitment to public service, he was honored with the Scarsdale Bowl in 2006. He served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Curtiss in the Pacific for two years in the 1950s.
Harold S. Kant ’58 of Reno, Nev., died Oct. 19, 2008. He was principal attorney and corporate general counsel to the Grateful Dead and spent more than three decades helping protect the rock band’s musical legacy. He began his association with the band in 1971 and remained general counsel until 2000, but he continued to represent Ice Nine, the band’s music publishing company, until his death. After law school, he clerked for Judge William Orr of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco before joining a Beverly Hills law firm in 1959. After a few years, he launched his own general business-law practice and eventually began representing movie and music industry clients. His clients included Sonny & Cher, Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Big Brother and the Holding Company. Starting in 1987, he focused his practice on the Grateful Dead.
John Daniel Nyhart ’58 of Brookline, Mass., died Dec. 6, 2008. During his 41-year career at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he served as dean for student affairs and as a professor. He taught law and management at the Sloan School of Management, and his research interests in international law of the sea led to a joint appointment in the Department of Ocean Engineering. His research included overseas development banking and the use of computers to model outcomes for international dispute resolution processes. He served in the U.S. Navy.
Samuel Booker Carter ’59 of Saluda, N.C., died Jan. 19, 2009. He practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, and was a corporate lawyer for National Service Industries in Atlanta. He was a member of the Kiwanis Club of Atlanta and the Old War Horse Lawyers Club. While he attended law school, he was a member of the Chancery Club and the Southern Club and commodore of the Harvard Yachting Society.
Ragan A. Henry ’59 of Merion Station, Pa., died July 26, 2008.
Calhoun Dickinson ’60 of Seattle died Oct. 3, 2008. A longtime Seattle Parks Board commissioner and attorney, he helped develop some of the city’s public spaces, including Discovery, Gas Works and Freeway parks. He worked for the firm Perkins Coie for more than 40 years, specializing in worker’s compensation cases and representing companies such as Boeing. Upon his retirement from the firm, Gov. Gary Locke appointed him to the Washington State Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals, where he served until his death. He served on the Seattle Board of Park Commissioners for nine years (two as chairman) and also on Lakeside School’s board of trustees for 21 years, including as president from 1975 to 1978. He served four years of active duty in the U.S. Navy, stationed in Guam and Japan, before attending law school.
Leonard M. Goldberg ’60 of Livingston, N.J., died Jan. 6, 2009. In 1977, he founded the law firm Goldberg, Mufson and Spar in West Orange, where he was a partner. Chairman of the tax section of the New Jersey Bar Association, he was also a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estates. An annual federal tax symposium is named in his honor. He was a member of Congregation Agudath Israel in Caldwell, N.J., where he started the Hebrew Free Loan Society and was one of the founding members of the Partnership for Jewish Life and Learning.
William M. Goldstein ’60 of Wayne, Pa., died Aug. 6, 2008. He was a tax attorney whose career spanned 48 years, in private practice and government service. Most recently he was a partner at Drinker Biddle & Reath in Philadelphia, where he practiced for 26 years. He began his career in 1960 as a member of Morgan Lewis & Bockius and went on to serve as deputy assistant secretary of the Treasury for tax policy for the Ford administration in the mid-1970s. He played an active role in the formulation of the Tax Reform Act of 1976 and served as head of the U.S. delegation that negotiated tax treaties with the Philippines and Brazil. In 1982, he joined Drinker Biddle, where he chaired the tax practice and became a managing partner.
Robert A. Goodman ’60 of Aberdeen, N.J., died Nov. 16, 2008. After law school, he launched a career as a labor lawyer representing labor unions in New York City, and then worked as an attorney for the National Labor Relations Board in Newark. He also worked for the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office and as labor counsel to the ISP (GAF) Corp. In his later years, he worked as an arbitrator and mediator in labor and employment cases. He served in the U.S. Army as a lieutenant.
Karl B. Hill ’60 of Forsyth, Ga., died Oct. 24, 2008. He was a longtime president and chairman of Monroe County Bank in Georgia. Prior to his return to Georgia, in 1968, he worked for two years in the new U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. After law school, he worked as an editor for Beacon Press in Boston and practiced foreign management consulting with Associates for International Research in Cambridge, Mass. He was a speaker at several New York investment conferences in recent years. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.
David D. Rosenstein ’60 of Highland Park, Ill., died Aug. 9, 2008. He was a co-founder of Rosenstein and Buess, which specializes in general business practice for closely held corporations and partnerships. He was also active in commercial real estate development in the Chicago area.
David R. Simon ’60 of Denver died Nov. 3, 2008. He was a law clerk for federal Judge Anthony T. Augelli in New Jersey and a staff attorney at the Federal Trade Commission before settling into a longtime law practice in New Jersey, focusing on complex commercial litigation.
Loyd R. “Reece” Trimmer ’60 of Pittsboro, N.C., died Aug. 19, 2008. He was the first legal adviser to the Durham Police Department, a position he took in 1971. He spent a majority of his career at the North Carolina Justice Academy as a legal specialist and most recently served as legal adviser to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office before his retirement in 2004.
R. Quincy White ’60 of New Buffalo, Mich., and formerly of Chicago died Oct. 10, 2008. A longtime resident of Chicago, he practiced law for 35 years, including with Leibman, Williams, Bennett, Baird & Minow, which merged with Sidley Austin, where he was a partner, heading the firm’s intellectual property group. He retired in 1995. White was a member of the Chicago Council of Lawyers and served as honorary counsel general of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan for Illinois from 1978 to 2000. He received the Sitara-i-Quaid-i-Azam award in 1982. Active in his community, he was a vice president of the board of directors of the Juvenile Protective Association, served as secretary of the National Governing Board of the Ripon Society and served on the board of the Great Lakes Coalition. After retirement, he was a township trustee for New Buffalo and chairman of the Planning Commission. He served in the U.S. Air Force for two years in the 1950s.
P. Cameron DeVore ’61 of Lopez Island, Wash., died Nov. 2, 2008. He was an attorney who helped establish the field of media law and was one of the first to successfully argue that advertising was a form of speech protected by the Constitution. After law school, he moved to Seattle and joined Wright, Innis, Simon & Todd, a precursor to Davis Wright Tremaine, where he spent four decades specializing in First Amendment law. A nationally known expert on the subject, he was the co-author of “Advertising and Commercial Speech: A First Amendment Guide” with Robert Sack, a New York federal judge. He served on the boards of the Lakeside and Bush schools, the Seattle Art Museum, ACT Theatre, Children’s Hospital and Seattle Community College. He also served on the board of the Lopez Community Land Trust, a nonprofit devoted to affordable housing and sustainable local industry.
James L. Magee ’62 of Bellevue, Wash., died Oct. 24, 2008. He practiced law for more than 46 years, mostly with Graham & Dunn. He tried civil and criminal cases, handled international commercial and trade regulation matters, and was a prominent figure in an antitrust jury case involving the salmon industry that made national headlines. He served as fellow and chair on the Professionalism Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers and as fellow to the International Society of Barristers. For four years, he was a lawyer-delegate to the 9th Circuit Judicial Conference, and he served four terms as senior warden of St. Thomas Episcopal Church. In 1956, he entered the U.S. Air Force, and he was first stationed in Texas as a single-engine jet pilot and later did a three-year tour of duty at Castle Air Force Base in Merced, Calif., where he served as an intelligence officer in the Strategic Air Command.
O. Stevens “Steve” Sughrue Jr. ’62 of Winchester, Mass., died Sept. 12, 2008. He was an attorney for 46 years at O. Stevens Sughrue Law Firm in Boston. He was a member of the Winchester Country Club and the Harvard Club. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1956 to 1959 and retired as a commander of the U.S. Naval Reserve after 27 years.
John L. Downing ’63 of Philadelphia died Aug. 22, 2008.
Alan H. MacPherson ’64 of Laguna Beach, Calif., died Dec. 8, 2008. He was most recently the founder of MacPherson Kwok Chen & Heid, where he practiced as a patent litigator and counselor. Prior to this, he served as chairman of Skjerven Morrill MacPherson, a leading patent boutique in Silicon Valley. After law school, he held positions as patent counsel at Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp. in Silicon Valley and at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill, N.J. He was featured as a top patent lawyer in California Lawyer and Upside magazine. He served on the board of directors for the San Jose Symphony, Stevenson House and Mid-Peninsula Citizens for Fair Housing.
Peter R. Richards ’64 of Ewing, N.J., died Oct. 2, 2008. After law school, he worked as a special attorney in the Organized Crime and Racketeering Section, Criminal Division, of the U.S. Department of Justice. He then took the position of deputy director of the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement prior to joining the law firm Martinez & Jennings in Ewing. He later served at the Office of Criminal Investigation, Division of Taxation, at the New Jersey Criminal Justice Division and most recently as supervisor at the Internal Security Unit within the Division of Taxation in Trenton. He served in the U.S Army Reserve prior to law school.
Thomas R. Reynders ’65 of Darnes-town, Md., died Feb. 1, 2009. He was most recently a senior associate at Checchi and Co., a Washington-based economic consulting group. At the time of his death, he was in Afghanistan conducting a supervisory visit of U.S. Agency for International Development projects. He joined Checchi in 1996 and had project management responsibilities for USAID-funded legal development and institutional reform projects in Afghanistan, Indonesia, Madagascar, Montenegro and the West Bank/Gaza. Reynders served in the State Department from 1967 to 1987 as an economics officer. In the early 1990s, he led the ABA’s Law and Democracy Project in Cambodia. He served in the U.S. Army in Korea.
Richard D. Copaken ’66 of Potomac, Md., died Dec. 8, 2008. He was a longtime partner at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C., where he specialized in international and public interest law, including assisting the island-municipality of Culebra, Puerto Rico, and the commonwealth of Puerto Rico to end U.S. naval training on Culebra. He wrote “Target Culebra,” which is scheduled to be published this year by University of Puerto Rico Press. He joined Covington & Burling in 1967 and became a partner in 1974. In 2006, he co-founded Epagogix, a British company that analyzes film scripts to predict potential box office earnings. He was appointed a White House Fellow in 1966. During his career, he guest-lectured on international law at universities nationwide and was a member of the Washington Color School, where he painted; one of his paintings is on display at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.
Howard P. Goldberg ’66 of Freehold, N.J., died Jan. 7, 2009. He was in private practice for most of his career, specializing in tax, personal estate and real estate law, mainly in Cranford, N.J. He was named a Rufus Choate Scholar while in attendance at Dartmouth College. He was an avid golfer and enjoyed the opera.
Gary J. Greenberg ’66 of Harrison, N.Y., died Jan. 1, 2008. He was a solo practitioner specializing in commercial litigation, corporate and business counseling, and counseling and managing classical musicians. He was president of Vicky Tiel U.S.A., Ltd., vice president of Marion Greenberg Inc. and managing partner of Zephyr Realty Associates.
Robert Martin Murphy ’68-’69 of South Dennis, Mass., and Bonita Springs, Fla., died Oct. 3, 2008. As one of the first paratroopers on the ground during the 82nd Airborne Division’s lift into Normandy on D-Day, he would later dedicate part of his life to maintaining the memory of the civilians and soldiers who died there June 6, 1944. From the 1960s, he returned annually to Sainte-Mère-Église, a small town in the Normandy region of France, where there is a street named after him. He spearheaded a campaign to raise funds for a C-47 aircraft (the type the paratroopers used on D-Day), which is now on display in front of the Airborne Troops Museum in Sainte-Mère-Église. He retired from the Army a highly decorated colonel, earning three Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star and the Legion of Honor. He wrote “No Better Place to Die,” a book about his role in the Normandy landing, and later served as president of the 82nd Airborne’s Veteran’s Association. After his return to civilian life, he practiced with the firm of Murphy & Murphy in Boston and from 1980 to 1991 served as the Massachusetts assistant attorney general.
John O. Calmore ’71 of Chapel Hill, N.C., died Feb. 24, 2009. He was the Reef C. Ivey Professor of Law at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he taught civil rights, critical race theory, local government law, social justice lawyering and torts. He co-wrote the casebook “Social Justice: Professionals, Communities, and Law” in 2003. Beginning in the early 1970s, he worked for several institutions in California: the Western Center on Law & Poverty, the National Housing Law Project (West Coast office) and the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, where he was director of litigation. He began his academic career with the North Carolina Central University School of Law in 1985. He returned to North Carolina to join the faculty at UNC’s law school in 1994, after serving as a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. He served as a program officer with the Ford Foundation and as a member of the boards of the New World Foundation, the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium and Oxfam America. In 2006, UNC held a symposium devoted to Calmore’s work.
Pierre R. Dussault LL.M. ’71 of Montreal died Dec. 21, 2008. He was a professor of taxation law at the University of Sherbrooke from 1967 to 1990. During his career, he also taught tax law at the University of Montreal, at the University of Laval and as part of professional development programs at Bureau Canadien, Bureau du Québec and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. He was a member of the Commission des valeurs mobilières du Québec from 1981 to 1988. In 1990 he was named judge to the Cour canadienne de l’impot, where he stayed until his retirement in 2006.
John H. McGuckin Jr. ’71 of San Francisco died Dec. 1, 2008. He served as knight grand cross and lieutenant of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Northwestern Lieutenancy. Recently, he was on the international board of trustees for Bethlehem University and the Catholic University in the West Bank. He was senior executive vice president, general counsel and secretary of UnionBanCal Corp. and Union Bank of California for 24 years. He served the Archdiocese of San Francisco as a member of the Finance Council, the chairman of the Archdiocese Deposit/Loan Fund Governance Committee and a member of the board of directors of Catholic Charities, where he received the Archbishop’s Ring of Charity. He was on the board of advisers of St. Anne’s Home, was a member of the Knights of Malta, and was honored with the St. Thomas More Award for his achievements in the field of law and commitment to faith. He is author of the books “Edward J. LeBreton: Benefactor and Friend” and “Working for God Alone: The Little Sisters of the Poor in San Francisco.”
Gary C. Leedes LL.M. ’73 S.J.D. ’84 of Richmond, Va., died Nov. 4, 2008. He taught at the University of Richmond for 25 years and in 1998 was honored with the school’s Distinguished Educator of the Year Award. In addition, he was a visiting professor at Washington University in St. Louis, the University of Wyoming, Santa Clara University, Loyola of Los Angeles, Queens College, Cambridge University and Emmanuel College at Cambridge University. He taught constitutional law, jurisprudence and various interdisciplinary courses for undergraduates. Leedes was awarded a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Humanities at Columbia University and a Ford Foundation fellowship for research focusing on desegregation of public schools in Virginia. He wrote “The Meaning of the Constitution: An Interdisciplinary Study of Legal Theory” in 1986 and also wrote more than 25 published articles, many of them dealing with religion, law and legal history. During his legal career, he acted as an attorney for the Rutherford Institute and for churches with free exercise of religion cases, and was a consultant to McGuireWoods.
Michael J. Calhoun ’74 of Mill Valley, Calif., died Feb. 24, 2009. He was a leader in the global fight against AIDS, serving as chief operating officer of Pangaea Global AIDS Foundation, based in San Francisco. Previously, he served for 14 years as a senior health care executive and consultant, including as vice president of strategic planning and marketing for Stanford Hospital and Clinics and as a consultant to the U.S. National Institutes of Health. Beginning in the late 1970s, he served as international trade counsel to the U.S. House Committee on Ways and Means, and he was later appointed by President George H.W. Bush to serve as chief of staff to Dr. Louis Sullivan, secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. In this position, he oversaw a $625 billion budget and 65,000 employees. He served on the boards of several institutions, including Princeton University, the Morehouse School of Medicine, California Pacific Medical Center and Marin Horizon School. He was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and an adviser to the Japan Society of New York, and he wrote a book, “The Silver Market: New Opportunities in a Graying Japan and United States.”
Dean M. Weiner LL.M. ’77 of Los Angeles died Feb. 14, 2008. He was a partner at O’Melveny & Myers.
Linda Gray Fee ’78 of Phoenix died June 12, 2008.
Donna E. Arzt ’79 of Syracuse, N.Y., died Nov. 15, 2008. A professor at Syracuse University College of Law since 1988, she founded and directed the school’s Center for Global Law and Practice. After the explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, she started the Lockerbie Trial Families Project, which kept family members of victims of the bombing apprised about developments during the trial. More recently, she helped run the Sierra Leone Project, which allowed students and faculty to assist the Office of the Prosecutor of the Special Court for Sierra Leone. She served as a member of the International Relations Department at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, and taught courses in international human rights, refugee law and comparative law, among others. From 1979 to 1989, she served as director and general counsel of the Soviet Jewry Legal Advocacy Center. She published many articles about human rights abuses in the Soviet Union and on human rights issues in the Middle East and wrote a book, “Refugees Into Citizens: Palestinians and the End of the Arab-Israeli Conflict.” She served as a consultant to Human Rights Watch, the Association for Civil Rights in Israel and the United Nations special rapporteur on population transfer. After law school, she was the assistant attorney general for the commonwealth of Massachusetts in civil rights and regulation of charitable solicitation. In recognition for her work as a scholar and human rights advocate, she received the Tyson Award for Excellence in Human Rights Advocacy from the Union of Councils for Soviet Jews in 1990.
Susan L. Hurley ’88 of Bristol, United Kingdom, and formerly of Santa Barbara, Calif., died Aug. 16, 2007. She was a philosopher of international distinction devoted to exploring the mind with the aid of natural and social sciences. She held a chair in the department of politics and international studies at the University of Warwick from 1994 to 2006 and was professor of philosophy at the University of Bristol. Earlier in her career she had taught at Oxford. She later held visiting posts at Berkeley, Princeton, Harvard and Canberra. She was the author of three books: “Natural Reasons: Personality and Polity,” in which she tackled the problem of choice; “Consciousness in Action,” in which she portrayed the mind and self as inextricable from complex webs of perception and action; and “Justice, Luck, and Knowledge,” about the distribution of reward and opportunity. She co-edited a two-volume collection of papers on imitation and a collection of papers on rationality in nonhuman animals. Most recently, she was awarded a large grant that brought together researchers from the humanities, the natural sciences and the social sciences to study consciousness as both a natural and a cultural phenomenon. It led to an international conference, which she helped to organize and which she participated in, a month before her death.
Jason J. Kim ’04 of Vienna, Va., died Jan. 7, 2009.
José M. Tesoro ’06 of Washington, D.C., died Dec. 19, 2008. He was an associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison. Born in the Philippines, he came to the United States to attend high school and earned his undergraduate degree from Yale University. After college, he moved to Hong Kong to become a writer for Asiaweek magazine, serving as a Jakarta correspondent from 1997 to 2000. He wrote “The Invisible Palace,” a nonfiction account of the unsolved murder of a prominent Indonesian journalist, which was published in 2004 while he attended HLS. He died after falling from an automobile ramp at Hong Kong International Airport.