HLS/KSG Association for Law and Policy
Who We Are and What We Do
The HLS/KSG Association for Law and Policy (HALP) is a professional and social organization at both Harvard Law School and the Kennedy School of Government. We provide a vital link to practitioners actually shaping public policy across the nation. In addition to sponsoring exciting events at both schools, HALP offers students a unique opportunity to network with notable public servants and to play prominent roles in promoting public debate at Harvard.
HALP also represents the interests of students in the joint and concurrent J.D./M.P.P. and J.D./MPA-ID programs, and sponsors educational and social events for current and prospective joint students. J.D. students presently enrolled in the concurrent or joint programs, or who are interested in pursuing a joint degree, are especially encouraged to join.
Joint Degree Information Session Video
On Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, we hosted an information session for students interested in pursuing a joint JD/MPP or JD/MPA-ID at Harvard Law School and the Kennedy School of Government. Faculty and administrators from both schools discussed the joint degree program and the logistics of applying. In the second half of the session, current joint degree students discussed their experiences and answered questions.
To see a video of the information session, click here: http://www.law.harvard.edu/media/2006/10/17/halpjointdegree.rm
To download Real Player to view the video, click here:
To view the video, your computer should meet the following minimum requirements:
- 56K modem connection or better
- PC: Pentium processor or better, and sound card
- Mac: 604 or G3 processor or better
What We Did Last Year
In the 2005-2006 academic year, HALP was pleased to organize our second annual information session for prospective joint degree students, bringing together administrators, professors and students from both schools to share their perspectives and answer questions.
Along with the HLS-KSG Joint Degree Program, HALP co-sponsors a guest speaker lunch
series. In 2005-2006, the inaugural year of the series, our guests were
- Michael Leiter (HLS ’00), Deputy Chief of Staff to the Director of National Intelligence and former Associate General Counsel of the “WMD Commission”
- William H. Taft IV (HLS ’62), Legal Adviser to the Department of State (2001-2005); U.S. Permanent Representative to NATO (1989-1992); Deputy Secretary of Defense (1984-1989); General Counsel for the Department of Defense (1981-1984); General Counsel for the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (1976)
- Christine H. Chung (HLS ’90), International Criminal Court Prosecutor and former 12-year-veteran of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York.
The other HLS-KSG Joint Degree Progam guest lunches, open only to HALP members who were HLS-KSG joint degree students, were with then-Harvard University President Lawrence Summers and General Barry McCaffrey (KSG National and International Security Program ’87), former U.S. Drug Czar.
Matt Murray (JD/MPP ’09), President
Eugene Yoon (JD/MPP ’08), Treasurer